Posted on Oct 16, 2018

Don Clark Realtor Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage

Oct 15, 2018
Real Estate

Property Tax Transfers For Homeowners Over 55

California Prop. 50/90 Tax Base Transfers Rules and Q & A

If you or your spouse that resides with you is age 55 or older, you may buy or construct a new home of equal or lesser value than your existing home and transfer the trended base value to your new property. This is a one-time only benefit. You must buy or complete construction of your replacement home within two years of the sale of the original property.

Both the original home and the new home must be your principal place of residence. A claim must be filed within three years of purchasing or completing new construction of the replacement property. If a claim is filed after the three-year period, relief will be granted beginning with the calendar year in which the claim was filed. Once you have filed and received this tax relief, neither you nor your spouse who resides with you can ever file again.

Contact us today for more requirements and Q & A 858 997-3859
Contact Us
Message sent. We'll get back to you soon.